Friday, February 23, 2007

Learning from injuries

If you are a competitive athlete, chances are you have been injured somewhere down the road. Those of you that have not, be grateful. Injuries keep you from doing what you love. No matter how insignificant the injury may be, it will seem like it has sidelined you for too long.

But maybe something can be learned from injuries? Lets take an optimistic look at them.

I was recently out with a relatively small injury about a week ago: I missed a few days of running and, once I started up again, my volume and intensity was much lower than normal. The time I spend in rehab and cross-training following and injury is very lonely. The only thing I can think of is "how can I heal so that I can run again?"

I have realized that, during that time, I really miss running. It reignites my love for the sport. I have also noticed that, following an injury, I am hungrier for victory, improvement, achievement than I was before.

It is because of those feelings that I feel you should look at every injury you get as an opportunity to improve.

No comments: